Wednesday, August 22, 2007

illusion & suffering

"People who will not let go of their illusions are the ones who suffer the most."

This quotation comes not from a Buddhist text but from a book on trading the financial markets (Trading Rules That Work by Jason Alan Jankovsky.)

It bewilders me how much the markets are the pressure-cooker equivalents of regular daily emotional life. It amazes me how much of what I'm learning about Buddhism can be used therapeutically for an ailing trader such as myself. For all the same reasons, however, I'm a little scared that I might not be able to make progress with my issues while duking it out in the middle of the financial battlefield every day. I wonder if the high-pressure nature of my work negates the safe space I create for myself with meditation and dharma talks.

I have problems with doubt. To some extent this is merely a classic Hindrance. As my teacher on retreat Steve Armstrong said, "Doubt is fear masquerading as logic." But I really want to make sure I'm moving in the right direction as I'm committing myself.

Perhaps finding a teacher is the answer. Faith comes from knowing somebody who has seen success on the path and can understand where you are in relation to the path.

No comments: