Wednesday, July 25, 2007

my new baby


A long story short: the image was inspired by A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami.

The longer story: the image from that book -- a white adult sheep with a star on its back -- stuck with me for years after reading the novel. I wasn't even sure what it was supposed to represent. As a tattoo, though, I wanted it to be a black sheep. (The usual crap about growing up feeling like an outsider, "you're born alone and you die alone," etc.) The fact that it's a cuddly-wuddly lamb rather than an adult sheep is supposed to remind me that (a) I need to be kind and nurturing/forgiving with myself, not harsh and judgmental; (b) I must be vigilant about thinking independently, lest I fall into herd-like conformity; and (c) [as suggested by the star] I'm marked to do/experience great things. (Gay or not gay?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, enjoy explaining that one for the rest of your life. Ha! I kid, I kid because I love. (A kid being a baby goat, by the way.) It's a really beautiful tat, I'm jealous.

美幸 said...

really gorgeous tattoo! i think it may be one of the best i've seen. also, you're not alone; the image from the book stuck with me for years, too.

morelikespace said...

thanks! i have a budding idea for a new tattoo. remember the mechanical owl from clash of the titans?

http://www.theseventhvoyage.com/bubo.htm